Our judges loved the submissions! So many kitties made us laugh out loud. We had three kitties tie for first place, so they will each receive a gold medal. In addition, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners may receive a free kitty from the Prize Kitties account.
These medals are exclusively given to Kitty411 contest winners. They cannot be purchased and are extremely rare. The gold medals are real blockchain tokens, and anyone with the KittyHats extension will be able to view the medal on your kitty.
What makes some CryptoKitties more valuable than others? Why do some kitties plummet in value while others don’t? How can you tell ahead of time?
Kitties get their value from two things: RARITY and DESIRABILITY. If a cat can maintain both over time, it’ll hold its value much better than the new hotshot cat with shiny antlers. Here are some things to think about before buying the expensive kitty in the window.
WHICH CATS ARE RARE?
Gen 0 Cats
There will only be 50,000 Gen 0 cats, and they will no longer be produced after November 2018. Other generations can be created through breeding, but Gen 0 cats cannot. They will be more scarce than higher generations.Read More »
Each trait in CryptoKitties has a “mutation pair” that, when bred together, gives a small chance (usually 14%) of generating a brand new trait not necessarily seen in either parent. Those new traits are referred to as mutations. After a gene mutates, it may then be passed on to offspring the same way as basic traits.
Because Gen 0 cats only have basic traits, mutations tend to be rare at low generations, so they are often (but not always) more valuable.
(Note: Mutations are separate from the “recessive” genes that have a chance to gene swap into the dominant position.)
How do mutations work?
From a technical point-of-view, mutations occur when pairs of neighboring genes (e.g. 00010 & 00011) are bred together. If they mutate, the mutation takes the gene with a ‘1’ at the end and moves it to the beginning (e.g. 00011 –> 10001). You don’t really need to know that, though. You can just use the following method.
In the chart below, you can see that topaz and mintgreen are a neighboring pair. In the right-hand column, it says they mutate into gene ‘i’. Find ‘i’ in the kai column and trace it back to eye color. Topaz and mintgreen have the potential to mutate into limegreen.
To find all possible mutations, please see our updated Trait Chart.
Unlike traditional genetics, where dominant and recessive genes have to do with the traits themselves (e.g. blond hair is recessive to black hair), CryptoKitty genes are dominant and recessive based on where they are located in the kitty’s genome, and it affects what gets passed to offspring.Read More »
You can usethis spreadsheet to read your kitty’s genes for you. Read below to understand how it works.
Find and Read Your Kitty’s Genetic Code
1. Your kitty’s genome is made up of gene blocks. Each block of 4 genes describes a cattribute category. Your kitty has 1 dominant trait and 3 recessive traits in each group. The dominant trait (D0) is on the right side and is your kitty’s visible cattribute (e.g. sphynx). The recessive traits are non-visible, but may be passed on to children.
2. Kittens have a 75% chance of inheriting the dominant trait from one of their parents, and a 25% chance of inheriting one of their parents’ recessive genes. (For detailed odds, see my post on Breeding Outcomes.)
The Trait Chart has all known traits and their kai and binary codes.
Every action in CryptoKitties goes to the ethereum network where miners execute the transaction. The price you pay for their services is the “Tx fee” (transaction fee). It is made up of two parts: Gas Price and Gas Limit.
Gas Price (GWEI) is what you offer to pay the miners for each operation they do to execute the smart contract.
Gas Limit is how many operations you allow them to do before they “run out of gas” and drop the transaction.